St. Nicholas Church
A symbol of peace and history. This church is an interesting landmark for anyone visiting the island.
What can you expect at St. Nicholas Church?
- Historical Monument: St. Nicholas Church, dating back to the 12th century, is one of the oldest buildings on Vlieland and plays a central role in the local community.
- Architectural Beauty: Admire the unique architecture of the church with its traditional construction and picturesque location.
- Art and Decor: The church houses various artworks and historical objects that reflect the rich history of the island and its community.
- Unique Attractions: Some unique aspects of St. Nicholas Church include:
- The old organ, still used for services and concerts.
- The stained glass windows that tell stories from the history of Vlieland.
- The church bells, some dating back to the 17th century, which still ring for special occasions.
- The whale jaws, driftwood, and chandeliers once gifted by Michiel de Ruyter, which have a special connection to the island's maritime history.
Experience the historical charm
St. Nicholas Church provides a peaceful setting for reflection, cultural exploration, and attending religious services.
- Location: St. Nicholas Church is located in the center of the village on Vlieland, easily accessible by foot or bicycle.
- Access: The church is usually open to visitors, but please check local announcements for specific opening hours and events.
A visit to St. Nicholas Church offers the opportunity to experience the serene beauty and rich history of Vlieland.
Furthermore St. Nicholas Church is near the following sights: Visitor Center De Noordwester (±70 m), Old Town Hall (±70 m), Tromps Huys (±175 m), Lighthouse Vuurduin Vlieland (±450 m) & Port of call Vlieland (±1,7 km).
For informationKerkplein, Vlieland